The Lead Minister of Sending is responsible for the implementation of Northway’s sending strategy, including 1) equipping in evangelism and missionality; 2) assessing, training, sending, and supporting missionaries and church planters; 3) maintaining strategic partnerships focused on missions and church planting. The Lead Minister of Sending works alongside the Local Missions Minister and the Pastor of Training and Sending to fulfill Northway’s overall vision for Training and Sending.
Areas of Responsibility and Associated Actions
Equip in Evangelism and Missionality
- Establish and implement ongoing, community-based equipping in evangelism among Northway members.
- Provide leadership (alongside Pastor of Training and Sending) to specific training environments focused on missionality in daily life.
- Help foster a culture of missional engagement among Northway members.
Assess, Train, Send, and Support Missionaries and Church Planters
- Assist Pastor of Training and Sending to identify, recruit, and assess prospective missionary candidates and church planters.
- Provide primary leadership to Northway’s Global Missions Cohort designed to equip prospective missionaries.
- Provide leadership to Northway’s Church Planting Cohort alongside Pastor of Training and Sending.
- Coordinate relationships with Church Planting and Sending Organizations as part of Northway’s sending process.
- Supervise advocacy teams dedicated to missionary care.
- Supervise short-term trips dedicated to deepening relationships with national and global partners, to assessing future missionary opportunities, and to equipping indigenous leaders.
Maintain Strategic Partnerships
- Continue partnership relationships with current sending organizations in support of existing missionaries.
- Develop and deepen partnership relationships with current and prospective global partners.
- Establish (alongside the Pastor of Training and Sending) new partnerships with organizations that reflect Northway’s partnership with the SBC.
- Collaborate (with the Pastor of Training and Sending) regarding partnerships focused on Church Planting (i.e. SBTC, SEND Network) to bring continuity to church planting and global sending.
Preferred Role Qualifications
- Meets the spiritual qualifications of a deacon/elder in accordance with 1 Tim 3:1-13.
- Seminary training (MA or higher) with an emphasis on missiology and/or pastoral leadership.
- Prior experience as a mid- or long-term missionary or previous work in mobilization or church planting.
- Awareness of and experience with cross-cultural ministry dynamics.
- Skill and gifting in personal evangelism.
- Upholds a biblical ecclesiology (i.e. healthy church development) as a primary focus for global sending.
- Can engage alternative viewpoints with charity.
- Creative thinking and strategic problem-solving capability.
- Administrative competency and clear written and verbal communication skills.
- Alignment with Northway’s beliefs, mission, vision, and values.